Magnolia optimisations
Newman, Declan
2014-10-19 20:30:04 UTC
Hello All,

We’re currently looking at ways of optimising the Magnolia stack. We’re not getting bad results, but under load - e.g. 450 concurrent users - we’re seeing the CPUs start to struggle.

One area that I think we can improve upon is the caching of templates. We’re using Thymeleaf for templating, alongside the TemplateViewResolver (also with Webflow support)

Thymeleaf uses the TemplateResolver, which has the “cacheable” property. Will caching at this level improve rendering performance, or does Magnolia override caching of the templates in favour of its own cache?

Apologies, if similar questions have been asked before. I did find <https://forum.magnolia-cms.com/forum/thread.html?threadId=cb23e657-ef2e-4b73-808c-c620aee26b7d#ae1345fa-1281-44e0-9751-61d667fee87b>, but it seems that it went off line.

We’ve also been looking at the PerformanceFilter and profiled using YourKit and it shows that the rendering is taking a significant amount of time. We have a Varnish layer caching images, js, images etc.

If anyone has any tips from previous experience of how to improve performance - in rendering - or any other areas, it would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Dec
Virgin Holidays Limited. Registered Office: Company Secretariat, The Office, Manor Royal, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 9NU. Registered in England, No. 1873815.